What currency to take?

Pour poser des questions, donner des conseils, etc.
Ask questions, help people to better prepare their next visit.
Mathieu3

What currency to take?

Message par Mathieu3 »

Hi,
I will be going to Cayo Largo for my first visit on Sept 8th and I am really looking forward to it!
Can you tell me what is the preferred currency to go with.. CAD or USD? (Is USD even allowed in Cuba?) And where can I change money to CUC? I have read that it is not possible to do this at the airport.
Thank you in advance!
guyguy

Re: What currency to take?

Message par guyguy »

Canadian money is easier, especially if you are from Canada, otherwise you will already pay for changing it into USD. At the hotel reception desk, it is where I usually change my money into CUC, because at the airport, the money exange desk is too often closed.

you can pay for the excursion with your credit card providing it is not from an American bank.
Dernière modification par guyguy le 05 sept. 2017 08:06, modifié 1 fois.
Guyguy Image
Mathieu3

Re: What currency to take?

Message par Mathieu3 »

Merci beaucoup Normand - I appreciate the info.
Yes I am Canadian and I will be taking CAD with me. I thought that taking USD would be better since the exchange rate to CUC is 1:1 then -10% charge so you will get 90CUC for USD100... right? However I will take both currencies and use whichever one gives me the best exchange.
I am hoping to make the exchange at the airport instead of at my hotel. I hope the Bureau de Change will be open when we arrive.

However now I have another worry... Hurricane Irma is heading in this direction.. expected to pass over Cayo Coco, but not over Cayo largo which is further south, though I expect there will be some effects for sure :(
Répondre