Main island connection

Pour poser des questions, donner des conseils, etc.
Ask questions, help people to better prepare their next visit.
frux

Main island connection

Message par frux »

Hello everyone,
My name is Antonio, I just joined this forum.
I can understand and speak some French, but I can't write, so I hope you will forgive me if I write in English.

I will be in Cuba for the first time by the end of the month and I'd really like to spend some days in Cayo Largo since I am going to stay for two weeks.
I already booked the hotel (Pelicano), but I can't find how to get on the island from La Havana and how much it costs.
I saw there is a connection from Varadero (http://cayolargo.airportcuba.net/arrivals.html) served by Air Cubana, but on their website I cannot book or find a flight.

Also, a friend of mine who has been there a few years ago, told me he caught a flight from a small airport close to La Havana and he bought the tickets in one of the main hotels of the capital. But still I can't find anything like this online.

Can someone help me and clarify how I can get to Cayo Largo?

Thanks in advance.
Anne M.

Re: Main island connection

Message par Anne M. »

Hello frux, welcome to the Forum!

There is a daily flight between Havana and Varadero. The information you received is correct. You will have to purchase your plane ticket while in Havana, at any tour operator - you will find a desk at major hotels and in various offices around the city. Very easy to find.

I recommend booking the flight as soon as you arrive in Havana, to make sure you can fly in and out of CL on the days you have chosen. I can't remember the latest cost, I would guess around 100-150CUC per segment, but I could be way off.

When doing some research, I did find this link, but I'm not sure how reliable it is: http://www.flightsincuba.com/itinerary/index/
:smt059
frux

Message par frux »

Hi Anne,
thank you for your help.

I am still confused about the flights for Cayo Largo.
In the page I linked before the only company listed on the arrivals is Cubana Airlines, while in the page you kindly linked the flight is operated by Aerogaviota.

Still, going on the official page of both airlines, I cannot find the connection.

I guess the only way to clarify this is to ask as soon as I arrive to La Habana, but I am concerned I would be a little short in time for canceling the hotel booking in case I can't find a flight.
Dernière modification par frux le 13 oct. 2017 05:48, modifié 1 fois.
frux

Message par frux »

Hello,
Hoping to be helpful to someone else who is or will be striving to get the same information, I can tell that the only flight that is available to buy before getting to Cuba is operated by Aerogaviota.
For some reason the flight is NOT sold on their website: http://www.aerogaviota.com/

I found it at 202 euros through a local travel agency, so a little bit cheaper of what is displayed on the link shared by Anne.

I am still unsure if it is worth to spend such amount for a 40 minutes flight for just three days, or buy a 7 nights flight + hotel pack sold by any online travel agency and go there another time :-k
guyguy

Message par guyguy »

well it depends of what you are looking for...if you want to relax and walk along pristine beaches and feel like you are alone on an island...then 3 days in Cayo Largo won't be enough...but...not a big nightlife, barely anything to visit, food ok but nothing to write home about. If you want to be on the move, and do some sightseeing all the time...3 days will be enough...but I do find this price very high if it does not include the hotel stay.
http://www.cubatravel.cu/en/destination ... how-to-get
Dernière modification par guyguy le 18 oct. 2017 09:57, modifié 1 fois.
Guyguy Image
frux

Message par frux »

I agree on the expensiveness, that's why I am concerned.
Only the round-trip flight costs 200 euros, you have to add 70 euros per night for the hotel. This means 400 euros for three days.

The reason why I want to visit Cayo Largo is to get some days of total relax during my trip. So I don't care about night life when I will be there, I want just to enjoy the caribbean beaches. Since northern side of the island is still affected by the hurricane, Cayo Largo is the best option.

So, do you think it's not worth it and I should more easily spend some days at the beaches in Trinidad? Or since this could be the only one chance I have to visit the island in my life I should take advantage of it?
guyguy

Message par guyguy »

You might consider going directly to Cayo Largo for a longer period, like 10 to 14 days and from there take one day excursions to La Havana and or Trinidad ?
http://www.cayolargo.net/excursions.html
Guyguy Image
frux

Message par frux »

I already bought my flight to Cuba (Habana), so it's not an option anymore.
I also made up my mind up that Cayo Largo is worth the price of the flight, mostly because this could the only chance I have to visit it in my life.
guyguy

Message par guyguy »

then wait to be there before purchasing your flight to CL , there are daily flights in alternance from Varadero and from La Habana, you might find good deals who knows? You could also delay your booking at the hotel or cancel it and buy a small all included package directly from Cuba.
Dernière modification par guyguy le 19 oct. 2017 08:39, modifié 1 fois.
Guyguy Image
Répondre