Just got back from Paradise

Pour les récits de voyage, photos et vidéos.
Write your trip report with photos.
Règles du forum
Si la lecture des récits des usagers du forum vous a rendu service, venez écrire le vôtre à votre retour. Par respect pour l'auteur, veuillez ne pas démarrer de nouvelles discussions à même son message. Les messages hors sujets seront effacés sans préavis. Veuillez utiliser le forum « de tout et de rien » pour vos discussions libres.
IMPORTANT: Avec l’accessibilité à l’internet, ce forum est lu par bien des gens et ce de partout. Lorsque vous racontez quelque chose à propos d’un employé spécifique, rappelez-vous que la délation existe et que ce qui est anodin pour nous pourrait avoir de graves conséquences pour eux.
Joe M

Message par Joe M »

mariepierre a écrit :Thank you Joe M

That's the best news we've had all week ... everyone was hoping for news... about the beaches ... that was the main concern ... but things don't sound too bad ... goody ...
tell me do you know if people could use the internet ? or was it out of order ...

thanks again
Mariepierre.

The Internet was working on the occasions that we had to use it at the Sol Club. We received several e-mails from our daughters. I have no idea about the Internet at the Barcelo Hotel. As far as I was concerned the beaches that I traveled on were in reasonable shape. The water in the ocean was quite warm and was wonderful for swimming and snorkeling. There was lots of fish to be seen on the reefs.

Joe M.
Normand

Message par Normand »

Thanks for your trip reports. Really appreciated!
amgaulin

Message par amgaulin »

Thank you for your prompt comment Joe M ! Glad you enjoyed yourself in Cayo Largo.
Véro_Éric

Message par Véro_Éric »

Hi Joe M,

Thanks for your report. Do you have any idea as of when the Pelicano should re-open? My boyfriend, a couple of friends and I are going there next week end. I am a little worried that the hotel won't be open though!

The odd thing is that I received an e-mail from the front desk manager of the Pelicano earlier this week and he never said that the hotel was not yet functionning!

Any news/thoughts/impressions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Joe M

Pelicano

Message par Joe M »

Véro_Éric a écrit :Hi Joe M,

Thanks for your report. Do you have any idea as of when the Pelicano should re-open? My boyfriend, a couple of friends and I are going there next week end. I am a little worried that the hotel won't be open though!

The odd thing is that I received an e-mail from the front desk manager of the Pelicano earlier this week and he never said that the hotel was not yet functionning!

Any news/thoughts/impressions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Hello Vero-Eric.

I am very sure that the Pelicano is open this week as they were just putting the finishing touches to everything during our stay at Sol Club. The storm had destroyed the stairs to the beach in August and they were replacing those stairs last week. The furniture had already been moved into the Ranchon on the beach and housekeeping were already cleaning all the rooms. The pool was ready and so was the lobby and the restaurants. It would only have been a matter of a few days before it was open (November 15 was their target for opening according to our Rep from Sunquest) . Don't worry as I am sure it will be ready for your holidays. My wife and I were bumped up to the Sol Club because Pelicano was not ready when we got there. Our preference is the Pelicano not that we didn't have a great time at Sol Club. We like the Pelicano rooms and the French doors that open up completely and the intimacy of the place and the privacy of the balconies.
The beach had some damage from the storm but not enough to worry about. There was still lots of beach for sunbathing etc. etc..

Have a wonderful time and drink a few Mojitos for me (not too many).

Joe M.

P.S. feel free to ask any other questions that I haven't answered.
Heather

Message par Heather »

Thankyou so much for posting a trip report. I leave in 13 days for Sol club. This is my first trip to Cayo Largo, but i doubt it will be my last. Thanks again!
Beth

Pelicano after the renovations

Message par Beth »

Hi Joe, I'm so grateful to find an English trip report on Pelicano that is recent. I need to work on my French to fully understand this forum!

We leave on Dec 2 for Pelicano - our 7th trip to CL. We stayed at Pelicano when it was part of Gran Caribe and since then at Sol Club. We love the Sol but got a deal on Pelicano.

I'm curious how Pelicano compares (food/entertainment) to Sol Club now that Pelicano is renovated and part of Sol Melia chain?

Was there beach between Pelicano and Lindamar?

Thanks Joe!
Joe M

Re: Pelicano after the renovations

Message par Joe M »

Beth a écrit :Hi Joe, I'm so grateful to find an English trip report on Pelicano that is recent. I need to work on my French to fully understand this forum!

We leave on Dec 2 for Pelicano - our 7th trip to CL. We stayed at Pelicano when it was part of Gran Caribe and since then at Sol Club. We love the Sol but got a deal on Pelicano.

I'm curious how Pelicano compares (food/entertainment) to Sol Club now that Pelicano is renovated and part of Sol Melia chain?

Was there beach between Pelicano and Lindamar?

Thanks Joe!
Hi Beth.

As far as the difference between the food at the Pelicano and at the Sol Club is concerned, I would say the Sol Club is a wee bit better than Pelicano. The difference would be in presentation and variety rather than in quality. Both hotels have a reasonably good variety for the price you pay for the holiday.

The beach between Pelicano and Sol Club is pretty good and is fairly wide and walkable. There is always a good beach at Pelicano and even though the hurricane did some damage or should I say erosion, I still found that the beaches in Cayo Largo were in reasonably good shape all the way from the Pelicano right through to Punta Mal Tiempo and on to the beaches at Paraiso and Sirena. There was still some beach at Lindamar the week we were on vacation (November 4 to November 11). There was no beach at Barcelo to speak of. It just takes a little time to come back after the hurricane. Yesterday I was just looking at some photographs that we took of the beaches in 1991 and there was still no beach where the Barcelo is now , but there was a very wide beach at Capricho and Iguana. It's an ever-changing scene in Cayo Largo. .

We're hoping to get back to Pelicano in January for a couple of weeks. I hope that you have a great time at Pelicano. The staff are absolutely great there and I know you will be well looked after.

Joe M.
Répondre