Sendind gifts to your Cuban friends A better way.

Pour poser des questions, donner des conseils, etc.
Ask questions, help people to better prepare their next visit.
Steve

Sendind gifts to your Cuban friends A better way.

Message par Steve »

Hi friends

"As a visitor to Cayo Largo I was impressed with the island and also the Cuban people. One thing I did since then is send gifts to two of the people I met.
One package taken by a fellow traveller had no problem getting to the person. I sent one package by registered air mail and although it took almost 2 months She finally received it

The last time I sent something by air but without registration. Registering allows one to trace it. I thought I will see what happens.
I sent it March 29th and the person has not e-mailed me to say she had received it It is today August 4th. That is too long for me to wait.

What to do ?

Would anyone who reads this be interested in helping send a large package of a few gifts to the Isle of Youth in care of one employee who would then distribute the gifts. The gifts could also be picked up.
One package would cost more for it would be sent via DHL a courier company that can get it to Nueva Gerona on the Isle of Youth in 7 days. The cost would be shared but the time to deliver and dependable service would be much better.

If interested let us discuss this. You can post your reply or send me your thoughts privately. To set this up in Canada I would organize this and send receipts to all who would like to use this better way to say thanks to our new Cuban friends.
Steve MacLeod
amgaulin

Message par amgaulin »

I wonder if your message was not forgotten during that of the year when so many were away on vacation.

So I thought it would be a good idea to bring it back up to the surface, just to see if it gets any reaction now.
Steve

Thank you for remembering this idea.

Message par Steve »

I had thought that people were likely too busy.

Recently I had received a request for help from someone I had been in contact with since my first visit to Cayo Largo in the winter if 2003.
She asked if I could help since she has a whole in the wall of her home that was caused by the winds of Ivan. Although the eye of Ivan missed the Isle of Youth the winds were still very very strong.
I will send her a small donation Earlier I had send a gift to help her build an extension to her home

The idea has not developed since I first suggested it. What can be sent that the people will recieve and that will not be confiscated by the government.
I sugggest to her that perhaps there is a practical way to help people help themselves. The Cuban people seem to be able to do this. They have adapted to the artificial embago placed around them by the short sighted America

Is it practical to do this seperately of would it be better that we pack extra items that are hard for the people to find. I know some people do this when they visit.

What do you think ?
Steve MacLeod
Répondre