Cherche une nouvelle destination...

Pour poser des questions, donner des conseils, etc.
Ask questions, help people to better prepare their next visit.
RonChristine

Cherche une nouvelle destination...

Message par RonChristine »

J'aimerais aller à Cayo Largo à la fin juin, mais nous vivons à Toronto et les voyages partent en milieu de semaine, ce qui nous rend la vie difficile côté travail.

Connaissez-vous d'autres endroits aussi calmes que Cayo Largo ailleur à Cuba? Varadero, Cayo Coco, Cayo Santa Maria sont tellement busy... Êtes-vous déjà allé à Jibacoba?

On pourrait toujours aller à Cayo Largo via Montréal, mais ça augmente beaucoup le coût du voyage!

Conseils?

Merci :)
Ron and/et Christine
(English or/ou français)
Alexander

Re: Cherche une nouvelle destination...

Message par Alexander »

Hi Ron and Christine

Saw your message and wishd to respond. First of all you are not first time visitors to Cuba and have seen some of the more popular "tourist sites/resorts" and found them to be busy.

I have not been everywhere in Cuba, and there might be others on this Forum, who could give you some suggestions.

What I can tell you is that what appeals to many lovers/adeptes of Cayo Largo can be very, very difficult to duplicate elsewhere in Cuba and even the Caribbean. That does not mean that other destinations in Cuba do not have merit. Just that they will not offer the miles of almost deserted beaches, naturism,etc...

Jibacoa- Lily and Normand have often gone there and so have I over the years and surely others on this forum. One goes there for different reasons than going to CL. It can be a very interesting vacation as long as one knows ahead of time what to expect and the reasons for going etc.
Take a look at the website for Jibacoa along with several other sites for additional insights and information.
http://www.destilino.com/home.html

* I have been a few times to the Sol resorts situated on Playa Esmeralda (Guardalavaca) and during the low season can be nice and quiet. However its a short beach and no natursim that I am aware off. Yet it can be a base for seeing the local countryside, visit the city of Holguin, and so forth. I continue to have fond memories of a long ride on a scooter through the beautiful countryside with barely any road traffic and watching farmers plowing their fields with Oxen (like in the good ole days), waving at Cubans, seeing the fantastique palm trees, etc....

So yes there are places to visit. Just not like CL.

Cheers

Alexander
Anne M.

Message par Anne M. »

Jibacoa is nothing like Cayo Largo, but it does offer the advantage of being close to Havana. Be sure to go to the Breezes though.

Have you considered the Iberostar Ensenachos? I think you would really enjoy Playa Ensenachos and you can book the Villas section if your budget allows, you'd have a really quiet vacation. Another option is to book the adult section in the regular hotel (the Spa section). Playa Ensenachos is fairly short, but it is very beautiful and serene.
:smt059
Alexander

Message par Alexander »

Hola Anne M.

Yes the Breezes without a doubt. I did not mention it because Lily and Normand in the website I indicated speak a lot about this Breezes hotel.

Ah how time flies! Believe it or not but I did spend my first vacation in Cuba at that other property that used to be called Villa Tropico and now is the Chameleon Jibacoa. This was some time around 1979!

Not having visited the Breezes nor Jibacoa recently I cannot speak about local conditions. However the snorkling is great and one needs to simply go in the water and swim a little ways away from the beach.
They used to have horseback riding tours. Still available? And of course Havana is a must and its rather easy to visit from Jibaoca.

What I was wondering and this would need advice from thsoe that have visited recently is the fact that for several years now a Canadian company claims to be developing projects in this area. Is this still all hype? Or have they begun any actual construction?

One becomes spoiled with brand new constructions and lovely modern hotels yet I have to confess that way back then I enjoyed myself in and around Jibacoa simply because Tourism was brand new for the Cubans, we got to eat lots of good and authentic Cuban cuisines, and we (the tourists) where a novelty for them and they recieved us very well.

An article worth reading-
http://www.lapresse.ca/voyage/destinati ... -cache.php
Au revoir
Répondre