Memories Dec 2 to 17

Pour poser des questions, donner des conseils, etc.
Ask questions, help people to better prepare their next visit.
AJC

Memories Dec 2 to 17

Message par AJC »

** This posting is two of two. We are a "young" 70 year old couple who vacationed at Memories (Sol) December 2 through 17, 2022.

The food is, in my opinion, better than previous years. More consistent and somewhat better quality. During our visit the Ranchon was only open at noon, although “Diamond Club” members have one dinner there per week. The eating area at Sirena is now available to Memories hotel guests for free, including beer service but no wine. I'm not sure if this applies to other hotels.

Tipping – Once at Memories we were advised NOT to change our Canadian dollars to the Cuban currency, and we’ve been tipping in loonies and toonies. While the Cubans cannot exchange our coins, they can exchange our bills. So we tip in loonies and toonies, and then ask them to break a five or 10 or 20 for coins, so they ultimately get the bills and we get to continue tipping with coins. There didn’t seem to be a “cambio” at the main reception but it is easy to break Canadian bills at the bars. They can change C$20 to a mix of C$5 and Canadian coins. Some Canadian tourists are using US$’s (typically $US1), but we understand this is not as convenient for the staff. Note that this is the way the system works at Memories in Cayo Largo. This should not be extrapolated to Varadero or other areas of Cuba.

It is worth mentioning that the staff are as great as ever. For returning guests there are many familiar faces, and they are even more delighted than we are to have the island open.

There only seemed to be a few books at the library near the beach towel distribution centre. Since this is up to the clients, please bring books and rotate them.

Our experience with the internet was spotty. Yes it now works in the room but:
a) we needed a new free internet card every few days as they expire.
b) we had trouble getting to the log in screen. We had 2 iPads and 2 iPhones and some days only 1 of the 4 devices would reach the log in screen to enter the Memories CL login credentials. (This might be a known apple issue but, something I just discovered, typing “captive.apple.com” into your browser may allow your apple device to reach the login screen.)
petern

Re: Memories Dec 2 to 17

Message par petern »

Great info AJC!

About tips and currencies:
- Good that we can skip the change to Local Pesos and operate with CAD
- I understand our Cuban friends and the global inflation ... but should we jump straight to the 5 $CAD bill (per tip?) only because is "not convenient"?
We managed to get some $1US bills (not very easy in Canada, but you can find some) and I will bring them for tips.
Hope everyone will be happy.

Food:
- Is there anything to eat during the day at Paraiso / Sirena "bars" ?
- On arrival, late evening, are there any sandwiches etc. available ?

Departure & other:
- Are the "good bye" charges still applied at the airport and how much / how did you pay?
- Any store open at the airport and marina? Are the prices clear (listed in CAD etc. every time they punch some numbers on the calculators)?
AJC

Message par AJC »

Answering Petern:

Tipping – Most of the tourists we were with (French / English Canadians) were tipping with C$1 and C$2 coins (known in Canada as Loonies and Toonies) and using C$5 notes for tipping at Las Trinas (Italian / International restaurant) and for a cab for a couple to go to/from Playa Paraiso or Playa Sirena. We had US currency with us but never used it. As stated in my original post, we were told US$’s are not as convenient for the staff. However, we did observe the occasional US$ on the tip plates in the Buffet.

Food Sirena – The food at Playa Sirena is similar to what was being offered at the Ranchon at Memories – a selection of freshly grilled chicken and sausage (at least some days), plus two separate buffet stations (one for mains and one for salad and desserts). Water and beer were available, but I don’t believe wine or cocktails were being offered. This was free to Memories guests. There did not appear to be any services at Paraiso bar although there was one employee there.

Food on arrival / late evening – They kept the Buffet open late the day Canadians arrived, and the Snack Bar at the pool was open 24 hours. It has a full bar and a modest but adequate menu from its own kitchen. The hamburgers were particularly popular when we were there, but there were other offerings as well.

Cuba no longer has a departure charge.
Memories had one “Tienda” with somewhat restricted hours and never seemed to be open when we were about. The Tienda at Playa Sirena had a better selection of rum. Prices are in US dollars and for the rum, at least, we had to pay by credit card. Yes there is also a store in the airport with limited rum selection, and there is still one at the marina. The rum prices appeared to be consistent from one location to the next.
sjbird

Message par sjbird »

Thank you for the report. Going in few weeks.

As for tipping, recent report from Cayo Coco is the same - tipping is canadian coins is just fine. Break bills into coins at a bar, and locals bring coins to bar and exchange them to bills. Bars are "cuban bank system" :)

One problem with US$ as far as I know is that cubans can't use to pay for any government run operations. Black market is fine with US$ But overall, CA$ is better option for both parties - canadians and cubans.
petern

Message par petern »

\:D/ All good.
Hope one day all prices for tourists (Tienda's airports, excursions etc.) in Cuba will be finally listed in $CADs
and our 1$ and 2$ coins will be accepted everywhere, not only as circulating "jetons" at bar-banks :)
Dr Luc

Message par Dr Luc »

Merci beaucoup AJC pour vos deux récits de voyage !

Thank you very much AJC you for your two trip reports!

Are our Cuban friends from former Sol Cayo Largo still there?

AJC a écrit : 28 déc. 2022 12:07 ...The food is, in my opinion, better than previous years. More consistent and somewhat better quality...
:-k

I would have rather read:
The food is, in my opinion, a lot better than previous years. More consistent and much better quality, almost haute cuisine. ;)

Best regards!
Dr Luc, pdp (pas docteur pantoute)
Bon retour à Cayo Largo !
Répondre